Dr. Christian Poellebauer
Professor, Computer Science and Engineering, University of Notre Dame
- 323B Cushing Hall, Notre Dame, IN 46556
- (574) 631-9131
For potential Ph.D. students interested in a position in our lab: Due to the large number of emails, I may not be able to respond to every inquiry. Note that research topics in our lab change over time; as of December 2019, the highest priority research area is "smart health", which requires skills/interest in physiological sensing, mobile/wearable devices, sensor data analysis using machine learning, signal/speech processing, and mobile app development.
- Ph.D., Georgia Institute of Technology, May 2004
- Diplom-Ingenieur, University of Technology Vienna, June 1998
My research interests span areas such as distributed real-time systems, resource management (e.g., energy management), wireless/mobile networks, wireless sensor networks, vehicular networks, smart phone apps, and pervasive healthcare applications and systems. I direct the Mobile Computing Lab (M-Lab), where we focus on projects such as mobile applications and services, wireless networks (primarily MANETs, VANETs, mesh networks, etc.), wireless sensor networks, QoS and real-time requirements, energy efficiency, and pervasive/mobile healthcare solutions. Our group's research is funded through grants by NSF (including a 2006 CAREER award), Office of Naval Research, Army Research Office, Air Force Office of Scientific Research, Motorola (Motorola Labs and Motorola Foundation), IBM (including a 2008 IBM Real-time Innovation Award), Toyota InfoTechnology Center, and Serim Research Corporation. Further, our lab has received hardware donations from Intel Corporation, Motorola Labs, Sprint, and Google.
Between 2010 and 2012, I also served as executive board member for Notre Dame's Wireless Institute, which focuses on everything wireless, from radio technologies and protocols to wireless and mobile applications to "other" aspects of wireless communications such as social, legal, and business matters. I am also member of the Notre Dame Advanced Diagnostics and Therapeutics (AD&T) initiative at Notre Dame and the Center for Civic Innovation. More information about the M-Lab, AD&T, and the Center for Civic Innovation can be found on the links below.
- CSE40816 - Smart Health - Spring 2020
- CSE60641 - Graduate Operating Systems - Fall 2019 (Fall 2018)(Fall 2017)(Fall 2016)
- 448.156 - Selected Topics Communications and Mobile Computing (Smart Health) (TU Graz) - Spring 2019
- 448.044 - Embedded Systems (TU Graz) - Spring 2019
- CSE34468 - Internet of Things (Berlin Summer Engineering Program) - Summer 2018
- CSE40814/60814 - Mobile Computing - Spring 2018 (Spring 2017) (Fall 2015) (Fall 2014) (Fall 2013) (Fall 2012)
- CSE30341 - Operating Systems Principles - Spring 2016 (Spring 2015) (Spring 2014) (Spring 2012) (Spring 2011) (Spring 2010)
- CSE40816/60816 - Pervasive Health - Fall 2011
- CSE40333 - Mobile Application Development - Spring 2011 (Spring 2010)
- CSE40815 - Wireless Sensor Networks - Fall 2010
- CSE40827/60827 - Ubiquitous Computing - Fall 2009
- CSE30264 - Computer Networks - Spring 2009 (Spring 2008) (Spring 2007) (Spring 2006)
- CSE40814/60814 - Mobile Computing and Wireless Communications - Fall 2008
- CSE40463/60463 - Real-Time Systems - Fall 2007 (Fall 2006) (Fall 2005)
- CSE354 - Systems Programming - Spring 2005
- CSE498A/598A - Survey of Advanced Computer Architectures - Fall 2004
- Track Co-Chair for the 29th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN), Track on "Multimedia and Real-Time Networking (MRN)", Honolulu, Hawaii, August 2020.
- Track Chair for the Visions Track for the 6th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Mobile Software Engineering and Systems (MOBILESoft), Montreal, Canada, May 2019.
- General Chair for the Intl. Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN), Vancouver, Canada, August 2017.
- Track Chair for the 14th International Conference on Mobile Systems and Pervasive Computing (MobiSPC), Leuven, Belgium, July 2017.
- Track Co-Chair for the 12th IEEE International Conference on Embedded Software and Systems (ICESS), "Track on Emerging Embedded Applications and Interdisciplinary Topics", New York, NY, August 2015.
- Track Co-Chair for the 24th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN), Track on "Sensor/Embedded Networks and Pervasive Computing (SNPC)", Las Vegas, NV, July/August 2015.
- Workshop Co-Chair for the 11th International Conference on Mobile Systems and Pervasive Computing (MobiSPC), Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada, August 2014.
- Program Track Chair for the Intl. Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN), Track on "Sensor/Embedded Networks and Pervasive Computing, Shanghai, China, July-August 2014.
- Technical Program Co-Chair for the Intl. Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN), Nassau, Bahamas, August 2013.
- Workshop General Co-Chair for the Intl. Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN), Munich, Germany, July-August 2012.
- Program Track Chair for the Intl. Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN), Track on "Sensor Networks, Embedded Systems, and Pervasive Computing", Maui, Hawaii, August 2011.
- Editorial Board member for the Journal of Mobile Computing and Wireless Technology, 2012-date.
- Editorial Board member for the International Journal of Embedded and Real-Time Communication Systems (IJERTCS), 2009-date.
- Steering Committee member for the Fourth IEEE Intl. Workshop on Wireless Mesh and Ad Hoc Networks (WiMAN), Zurich, Switzerland, August 2010.
- Program Co-Chair for the Third International Workshop on Wireless Mesh and Ad Hoc Networks (WiMAN), Montreal, Canada, June 2009 (in conjunction with ICDCS'09).
- Guest Editor for ACM Transactions on Autonomous and Adaptive Systems (Special Issue on Self-Adaptive and Self-Organizing Wireless Networking Systems), 2008/09.
- Guest Editor for a Special Issue of the International Journal of Wireless and Mobile Computing (IJWMC), 2008/09.
- Program Co-Chair for the Second International Workshop on Wireless Mesh and Ad Hoc Networks (WiMAN), Beijing, China, June 2008 (in conjunction with ICDCS'08).
- Guest Editorial Board member for the International Journal of Embedded Systems, 2006.
- TPC member for various conferences and workshops (complete list of conferences and workshops).
- Reviewer and panelist for NSF proposals, 2005, 2008-2013.
- Reviewer for various journals including IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, Journal of Systems and Software, IEEE Transactions on Computers, Multimedia Systems, and IEEE Systems Journal.
- Reviewer for various conferences including RTAS, SOSP, INFOCOM, RTSS, ACM Multimedia, ICS, MMCN, VTC, SECON.
- Member of the Assessment Committee (since 2006), the Infrastructure (WWW) Committee (since 2007), the Honor Committee (2006-2007), the Graduate Studies Committee (2004-2007), and the Committee on Appointments and Promotions (since 2010) in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at Notre Dame.
My CS Genealogical Tree:
My doctoral supervisor was Karsten Schwan (CMU), and his was Anita K. Jones (CMU), and hers was A. Nico Habermann (Technische Hogeschool Eindhoven), and his was Edsger Wybe Dijkstra (Universiteit van Amsterdam), and his was Aad van Wijngaarden, and his was Cornelis Benjamin Biezeno.
Spending time with family, keeping the house from falling apart, biking, racquetball, table tennis, fish keeping (195 gallon marine tank), Lego, travel.